Sql Backup And FTP

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register
File backup path includes SQL database? OK? Options · View
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2012 7:08:13 PM

Groups:

Hi, I plan on purchasing, but have a question.

Here is my scenario:

c:\folder
c:\folder\sqldb

I am backing up the sqldb using the normal methods of your product, but if I do a file backup and select c:\folder the backup
will process the c:\folder\sqldb folder as well since it is a sub directory. Is this a problem? Is your software smart enough
not to backup the database? If not, will it damage the database when it "backs it up" as a normal file backup?

Please advise!
AlexP
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:40:22 AM

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Hi,

The application will create backups of all added folders with recursive reading.
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:11:36 PM

Groups:

I understand that, but will it backup the sql in the subfolder as just a file or ignore it? can you please re-read my original question?
ruslan
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:20:31 PM

You can look at it as at the two separate backups. One backs up your SQL datatabase. Another backs up the folder with whatever content you have and all subfolders. This is not the setup I'd recommend, but should work (as long as you understand that you can restore a database from a SQL backup but not from folder backup as XCOPY generally doesn't work for SQL).
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:31:21 AM

Groups:

Yes, I really just wanted to be sure that if the file copy backed up the SQL database as a file like in my proposed question, that it wouldn't "damage" the SQL database...I fully understand I shouldn't use it as a "good backup"...that's what the separate SQL backup is for.

So no worries on it damaging the sql database in anyway if I did this? (I'm not a SQL guru, so thanks for your help).
ruslan
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:45:20 AM

No, the attempt to back up a database as a file won't damage it.