SqlBackupAndFtp is a standalone application. Once you bought a license – it never expires and you can use the version you’ve purchased forever. The “Updates, Web Log & Support” subscription is optional and requires a yearly recurring fee.
When you buy a license you get an option to buy the subscription. If you skip this option, only 1 month is included. It is highly recommended to get the Updates, Web Log & Support subscription in order to:
- Always use the latest version of SQLBackupAndFTP. Are automatic updates that important?
- To have an option to see backup history on the web – web log
- Receive direct email support from our team Can I receive support if I do not have a subscription?
- Use our mail servers for sending backup notification emails What is the benefit of automatic emails feature?
From another end, if your Update, Web Log & Support subscription has expired, you can continue to use the version that you have purchased, but:
- Auto-updates will stop and you will continue using the version of SQLBackupAndFTP that was live on a date when your subscription has expired.
- You will not be able to see backup history from the web (web log)
- You will not get direct email support from our team and will have to rely on the community forum
- You will have to use your own email server to send emails
Are automatic updates that important?
SQLBackupAndFTP communicates with your SQL Server, FTP and multiple cloud storage services (Dropbox, Azure, Box, OneDrive, GoogleDrive, etc). As all of these services evolve, they change their API, standards, update security settings. To keep up with these changes we regularly release new versions with fixes and improvements. During the whole period of subscription, your application will be regularly and automatically updated to the latest stable and secure version. You don’t have to worry about updates, they will be downloaded and applied silently and automatically.
To be more detailed – these are the reasons why we recommend our customers to be subscribed to auto-updates:
- As backups protect your valuable data, we try to keep our software secure, stable and reliable and it is crucial from your side to stay updated to patch all discovered vulnerabilities.
- There were cases when cloud storage services (like Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon, etc.) changed the way SqlBackupAndFtp communicates with them (API). We track those changes and update our product, but if you don’t have the subscription your old version may suddenly stop working properly and your backups will not be saved.
- We always listen to our customer’s feedbacks to make our software reliable and usable. Sometimes we make dozens of different useful improvements per week and in order to be sure that you use the best version you need to be subscribed for updates.
- While we test our software thoroughly, in some circumstances some hidden bugs may become apparent. We always try to address such issues as soon as possible, but you need to have a valid subscription to received those fixes in time.
Can I receive support if I don’t have a subscription?
Yes. If your subscription has expired, you can still search our community forum for a solution and ask questions there. But in this case we can not guarantee prompt replies.
If your business relies on backups, you want to make sure that your questions are answered promptly and this is possible only with an active subscription.
What is the benefit of automatic emails feature?
Everybody likes to simply type their email address to a field and have emails delivered without any additional configuration:
The Update & Support subscription allows you to take advantage of “Automatic email configuration” feature when you have nothing to configure and you do not need to go to email settings at all.
If you don’t have a subscription, then you would need to fill the following fields (hidden under the gear icon) to use your own mail servers for sending backup success/failure emails:
What if I opt out of the subscription during purchase?
All new customers receive 1 month of free subscription. So even if you don’t include a subscription to your purchase you will still be able to receive the initial support while you get acquainted with the program and update it to new versions during a month.
Nevertheless, we highly recommend to include the subscription into your order as there is a 50% discount for the first year subscription if it is purchased along with the license.
How much does it cost?
You can find the yearly subscription fees on the Features & Prices page.