SqlBackupAndFtp is a standalone application. Once you have purchased a license it never expires, and you can use that particular version perpetually. The Updates, Web Log & Support subscription is optional and requires a recurring annual fee.
When you purchase the license, you will get an option to buy the subscription. If you decline this option, you will only receive 1 month. It is highly recommended that you purchase the Updates, Web Log & Support subscription to:
- Always use the latest version of SQLBackupAndFTP. Are automatic updates that important?
- Have an option to see your backup history online – web log
- Receive direct email support from our team. Can I receive support if I do not have a subscription?
- Use our mail servers for sending backup notification emails. What are the benefits of the automatic emails feature?
From another point of view, if your Update, Web Log & Support subscription expires, you will still be able to continue to use the version that you have purchased, but:
- Auto-updates will stop, and you will continue using the version of SQLBackupAndFTP that was live on the date when your subscription has expired.
- You will not be able to see your backup history from the web (web log)
- You will not get direct email support from our team and will have to rely on the community forum
- You will have to use your own email server to send emails
Are automatic updates that important?
SQLBackupAndFTP communicates with your SQL Server, FTP and multiple cloud storage services (Dropbox, Azure, Box, OneDrive, GoogleDrive, etc). As these services evolve, they change their API, standards and update their security settings. To keep up to date with these changes, we regularly release new versions with bug fixes and improvements. During the period of your subscription your application will be regularly and automatically updated to the latest stable and secure version. You don’t have to worry about updates, they will be downloaded and applied automatically.
To be more detailed – these are the reasons why we recommend that our customers subscribe to the auto-updates:
- As backups protect your valuable data, we try to keep our software secure, stable and reliable. It is crucial from your side to stay updated, to patch all discovered vulnerabilities.
- There were cases when cloud storage services (like Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon, etc.) changed the way SqlBackupAndFtp communicates with them (API). We track those changes and update our product, but if you don’t have the subscription your old version may suddenly stop working properly and your backups will not be saved.
- We always listen to our customer’s feedback to make our software reliable and usable. Sometimes we make dozens of different useful improvements per week and to be sure that you can use the best version, you need to be subscribed to the updates.
- While we test our software thoroughly, in some circumstances some hidden bugs may become apparent. We always try to address these such issues as soon as possible, but you need to have a valid subscription to receive these fixes timeously.
Can I receive support if I don’t have a subscription?
Yes. If your subscription has expired, you can still search our community forum for a solution and ask questions there. But in this case, we cannot guarantee prompt replies.
If your business relies on backups, you want to make sure that your questions are answered promptly, and this is possible only with an active subscription.
What are the benefits of automatic emails feature?
Everybody likes to simply type their email address to a field and have emails delivered without any additional configuration:
The Update & Support subscription allows you to take advantage of the “Automatic email configuration” feature when you have nothing to configure and you do not need to go to email settings at all.
If you don’t have a subscription, then you would need to fill the following fields (hidden under the gear icon) to use your own mail servers for sending backup success/failure emails:
What if I opt out of the subscription during purchase?
All new customers receive 1 month free subscription. So even if you don’t include a subscription with your purchase, you will still be able to receive initial support while you get acquainted with the program, as well as get access to updates during that month.
Nevertheless, we highly recommend including the subscription into your order as there is a 50% discount for the first year subscription if it is purchased along with the license.
How much does it cost?
You can find the yearly subscription fees on the Features & Prices page.