Sql Backup And FTP

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register
Restore Errors Options · View
ruslan
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 23, 2010 12:47:34 PM

Groups: Administrators, Registered

You can NOT restore backups from a newer SQL version to an older - the formats of backup files are different.
From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186858.aspx: "Backups created with Microsoft SQL Server cannot be restored to an earlier version of SQL Server"
So 2008 to 2005 won't work, nor 2008 R2 to 2008. If you try you will get errors like:
"The media family on device .. is incorrectly formed. SQL Server cannot process this media family"
or
"RESTORE HEADERONLY is terminating abnormally. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3241)".
or
"The backup of the system database on device .. cannot be restored because it was created by a different version of the server"

Your options are:
1. upgrade the target SQL server to the same version as the source SQL server - this is the only long term solution. If you just need to restore once - see below.
2. use Import and Export Data Wizard (In SSMS right click on a database and select "Tasks > Export Data...")
3. use scripts (In SSMS right click on a database and select "Script Database as" or "Tasks > Generate scripts...")

Note that setting compatibility level on a source server to a lower setting won't help - it just affects the T-SQL, not how DB stored.
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 6, 2013 4:10:37 AM

Groups:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nlnhdjpnc0xj7b6/Cakeorder.bak

I tried the above methods you have suggested but none worked.
Can u please try to restore this file and the the restored files to my email. my email id - ashveenchamp@live.com
Thank You!!!

https://www.dropbox.com/...jpnc0xj7b6/Cakeorder.bak
AlexP
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 7, 2013 12:51:56 AM

Hello,

The media family is incorrectly formed. SQL Server cannot process this media family.
Please use "Run RESTORE VERIFYONLY after backup" option to check .bak file just after backup.

#4 Posted : Saturday, November 9, 2013 8:10:54 AM

Groups:

AlexP wrote:
Hello,

The media family is incorrectly formed. SQL Server cannot process this media family.
Please use "Run RESTORE VERIFYONLY after backup" option to check .bak file just after backup.

I don't have the database to backup it up again. I only need the file restored. Can u please restore the Cakeorder.bak file and send me the database files to my email - ashveenchamp@live.com
Thank You!!!
AlexP
#5 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 8:45:43 AM

No, we cannot due the error:
Msg 3241, Level 16, State 0, Line 1
The media family on device '<path>\Cakeorder.bak' is incorrectly formed. SQL Server cannot process this media family.
Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
VERIFY DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
#6 Posted : Friday, November 15, 2013 6:17:14 AM

Groups:

Isn't there any other method to get the Cakeorder.bak file restored??
If someone can do it can u pls sendhttp://mysqlbackupftp.com/forum/resource.ashx?c=1 me the restored files to my email id - ashveenchamp@live.com
Alexander Omelchenko
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2016 5:28:27 AM

Sorry, it seems there is no way to restore the database.
Sugarpot
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 24, 2017 8:56:09 PM

Groups: Registered

I have a .bak file I downloaded using Wondershare's MobileTrans from a LG K7 cell phone. LG-K330. I am trying to learn how to open this .bak file so I may print the text messages. It is only sms text messages in the .bak file.
Do you have any suggestions?
I tried the one click restore program and got this error message: Can't match logical files.Cannot open backup device. Which lists my file address here. Then says: Operating system error 5 (Access denied)RESTORE FILELIST is terminating abnormally.

I have SMSS I have the ms SQL Server Management Studio 17 but I don't know where to start. Do you have any ideas for me?

Alexander Omelchenko
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2017 9:56:22 AM

Please try to solve this case with the help of the following blog post: https://sqlbackupandftp....error-5access-is-denied/