Sql Backup And FTP

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register
What are SqlBackupAndFTP command-line options? Options · View
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:27:37 AM

Groups:

What are SQLBackupAndFTP command-line options?
ruslan
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2009 10:29:07 AM

Groups: Administrators, Registered

Here are command line options for SQLBackupAndFTP:
* To run a job (immediately or scheduled) use SqlBackupAndFtp.exe -rn <filename.jobx> [{-diff | -log | -fullcopy | -logcopy}]
Examples:
full backup: "C:\Program Files\SQLBackupAndFTP\SQLBackupAndFTP.exe" -rn "C:\new.jobx"
differential backup: "C:\Program Files\SQLBackupAndFTP\SQLBackupAndFTP.exe" -rn "C:\new.jobx" -diff
Transaction log backup: "C:\Program Files\SQLBackupAndFTP\SQLBackupAndFTP.exe" -rn "C:\new.jobx" -log
Copy-only log backups: "C:\Program Files\SQLBackupAndFTP\SQLBackupAndFTP.exe" -rn "C:\new.jobx" -logcopy
Copy-only full backups: "C:\Program Files\SQLBackupAndFTP\SQLBackupAndFTP.exe" -rn "C:\new.jobx" -fullcopy

* To open a job for editing use SqlBackupAndFtp.exe <filename.jobx>
* To schedule a job use SqlBackupAndFtp.exe -s <filename.jobx> [<username> <password>]

Important:
When SQLBackupAndFTP schedules a job, it uses "-rn" option. It is a recommended option that provides better performance than "-r", but if you need to see the output in a console, use "-r" instead

See this post on how to schedule multiple backups per day:
http://www.sqlbackupandftp.com/forum/yaf_postst28_Multiple-backups.aspx
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:18:44 PM

Groups:

OK I have looked at the KB article. What I am unsure about is how I can apply this to my current jobs created and scheduled through the gui. Is there a way to add options to jobs that are already configured.

I need to backup transaction logs. Does the -log option do a full as well as a transaction log backup or do I have to do a full and a transaction log backup?
ruslan
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 2:40:01 PM

Guest wrote:
OK I have looked at the KB article. What I am unsure about is how I can apply this to my current jobs created and scheduled through the gui. Is there a way to add options to jobs that are already configured.
I need to backup transaction logs. Does the -log option do a full as well as a transaction log backup or do I have to do a full and a transaction log backup?

Consider command-line options to be modifiers of a job. Job file (*.jobx) only makes full backup. If you add -log options, it will do transaction log backup instead of full.
ruslan
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 3:00:42 PM

Let's review an example: let's say you want to make a full backup on Saturday at 3pm and differential backups every other day.
1. You start by creating a full backup job in GUI and schedule to run it at 3pm every day. Let's say you've saved this job as C:\new.jobx.
2. In windows schedule you open the scheduled task for this job named like SQLBackupAndFtp_new (in the Run field you see something like "C:\Program Files\SQLBackupAndFTP\SQLBackupAndFTP.exe" -rn "C:\new.jobx") and modify it to run on Saturdays only - you full backups are set. I would also rename the scheduled task to something like SQLBackupAndFtp_full
3. In windows schedule you create a new task to run every day except Saturday and in the run command you specify the same command plus "-diff" option like this: "C:\Program Files\SQLBackupAndFTP\SQLBackupAndFTP.exe" -rn "C:\new.jobx" -diff
You are done
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 6, 2011 4:23:31 AM

Groups:

Hello,

That's clear; what about if new.jobx is also scheduled to be deleted after one week? When differential backups will be deleted?

Could you please explain what "Copy-only" options mean ?

Thanks.
ruslan
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 6, 2011 8:33:17 AM

If you have set old backups to be deleted after 1 month, they will be deleted disregarding the type (full or diff) of backup. So if it deletes full backup, obviously all diff backups that based on it are useless and you only have valid backups after your next full backup. Just set to delete old backups in a bit more than a month if this is a concern.
As far as copy-only backups, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191495.aspx.