If you are looking for the easiest way to tune PostgreSQL job scheduler then we recommend you to use simple GUI tool SQLBackupAndFTP. With the help of SQLBackupAndFTP, you can create a schedule to backup PostgreSQL databases. Just follow these simple steps and create your SQLBackupAndFTP backup job.
PostgreSQL Job Scheduler with SQLBackupAndFTP
- First of all, you need to download and install the SQLBackupAndFTP tool. Connect to your PostgreSQL Server by clicking the “gear” button at the “Connect to Database Server” section and choose “PostgreSQL Server” as a server type. In the opened window specify your credential and click on the “Test Connection” to check the connection. If the connection is established click on the “Save” & Close” button.
- Now select all PostgreSQL databases which you are going to backup
- The next step you have to pass is to select a destination place for your database backups. To add destination place, simply click on the ”plus” icon at the “Store backups in selected destinations” section and choose them from the list. You can send your backups to the following destinations: Local or Network folders, NAS, FTP, Amazon S3, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, Box, Azure Storage, OneDrive for Business, Backblaze, or Yandex Disk.
- Now we are going to schedule PostgreSQL backup jobs with the help of the SQLBackupAndFTP job scheduler. All you need is to turn it on at the “Schedule backups” and click the “gear” button to find the advanced backup schedule settings.
- That is all. Your SQLBackupAndFTP backup job is ready. Your backups will be performed automatically according to your schedule. Note, if you prefer to create a PostgreSQL backup immediately – click the “Run Now” button.
The Need of PostgreSQL Job Scheduler Settings
One of the most common laughs you will discover when saying over one particular important job for a DBA goes like this – a DBA needs one of two issues, a good backup or a good resume. It’s true. If you’re not doing backups and making sure that you can restore databases from those backups, you’re exposing yourself and your company to information loss. You can create a backup schedule with the help of the SQLBackupAndFTP backup job.
The Reason Why Backup?
Backing up your PostgreSQL Server databases, performing check restores methods on your backups, and saving replicas of backups in a secure, off-site area covers you from potentially catastrophic information loss. Backing up is the primary method to save your records.
Using applicable backups of a database, you can easily recover your records at many failures, like:
- Media failure.
- Customer problems, like losing a table by mistake.
- Hardware failures, like a broken disk drive or fixed loss of a server.
- Natural problems.
Also, backups of a database are useful for schedule management goals, such as duplicating a database from one server to another, database mirroring or archiving.
Backup and Restore Strategies
You need to customize the backing up and recovering information to a special setting and must function with the available sources. For that reason, reliable use of backup and restore demands a backup and restore plan. A well-designed backup and restore strategy maximizes information availability and lowers data reduction when considering your particular business needs. You can create a backup plan using SQLBackupAndFTP.
A backup and restore strategy has a backup portion and a restore component. Make all backups with the help of the PostgreSQL job scheduler. The backup part of the plan describes the type and regularity of backups, speed of the hardware that is required for them, how backups are to be checked, and where and how backup media is to be saved. The restore part of the strategy determines who is accountable for performing restores and how restores should be performed to meet your purpose for the availability of the database and for minimizing data damage. We recommend that you record your backup and restore methods and store a copy of the documents in your run book.
Spot the database and backups on different equipment. Alternatively, if the device containing the database fails, your backups will probably be inaccessible. Placing the records and backups on individual units also expands the I/O efficiency for both writing backups and the production use of the database.
Designing a successful backup and restore strategy needs careful planning, implementation, and testing. Examining is necessary. Test your backups which you make with the help of PostgreSQL job scheduler. You do not have a backup strategy right up until you have effectively restored backups. All the combinations that are included in your restore strategy. You need to consider a variety of factors. These consist of the next:
- The production goals of your business for the databases, particularly the needs for availability and protection of data from loss.
- The feature of each of your databases: its size, its usage patterns, the nature of its content, the requirements for its data, and so on.
- Limitations on resources, such as hardware, personnel, space for storing backup media, the physical security of the stored media, and so on.
The Impact of the Recovery Model on Backup and Restore
Backup and restore process take place within the situation of a recovery model. A recovery model is a database property that manages how the transaction log is maintained. Also, the recovery model of a database determines what types of backups and what restore situations are assisted for the database. Usually, a database uses either the simple recovery model or the full recovery model. The full recovery model can be supplemented by changing to the bulk-logged recovery model before bulk operations.
The most beneficial choice of recovery model which works according to the setting which you have made with the help of PostgreSQL job scheduler for the database will depend on your business demands. To get around transaction log management and simplify backup and restore, choose the simple recovery model. To reduce work-loss exposure, at the cost of administrative overhead, use the full recovery model.